Historical Root Beer
Who would have ever thought of a historical root beer date? Danny, for the win!
We are a root beer loving family. We don’t drink much soda but when do, we all love a cold root beer. Danny came home one evening and told me about a root beer treasure in our city. He had discovered Schilo’s. Schilo’s Delicatessen opened in 1917 and is the oldest operating restaurant in San Antonio.
In 1920 the prohibition hit. “While the rest of the country’s establishments shut their doors, at Schilo’s the beer kegs were rolled out of the coolers, and the famous Schilo’s Family Root Beer kegs rolled in and filled the tap lines to quench their patron’s thirst.”
While the kids were in school one day, Danny and I took an out-of-town guest with us to Schilo’s for our root beer date. It was served in beautiful frosty mugs, like I would imagine in a Norman Rockwell painting and it was deeeeee-licious.
Photo credit: Samantha Brooks
What I love about this root beer:
- FROSTED MUG
- It is cold and scrumptious but it is uniquely set apart from my other favorite root beer brands. It tastes like a nostalgic homemade recipe.
- You can get a root beer float but honestly the root beer without ice cream tastes like the flavor of a float, without the ice cream commitment.
- You can get 1 free refill
Inspired to plan a root beer date? Do it FREE and join our root beer quickie date invitation.
- Commit to taking your spouse on a historical and homemade root beer date before the end of November. Comment “I want free root beer” below this post or in the FB post comments.
- Send us a PM through Facebook Messenger OR through the Contact page on Marriage Strong site with your mailing address or how we can get your tokens to you.
- Enjoy your date prior to the end of November. While on your date, snap a selfie with you, your spouse, and your root beer.
- “Like”@marriagestrongsa and @schilosdeli pages on FB.
- Post your picture, tag both pages, & say “Thank you Schilo’s and Marriage Strong”
(*2 tokens per participant until my bag o’ tokens runs out.)
Your participation WILL help inspire more businesses support marriage strong dating and possibly more free dates. To read more about Schilo’s history and view cool old pictures visit https://www.schilos.com/